Each applicant seeking employment with the Sheriff's Office must successfully complete a multi-step hiring process as outlined below. Various positions will require specialized steps (as identified in bold text), based on the unique requirements of that position.
Step 1: Apply online at traviscountyjobs.org
Step 2: Complete Required Tests
At the appointed testing time all applicants will be required to:
- Be on time at the testing site. Anyone arriving after the scheduled time will not be allowed to test.
- Bring a valid form of picture identification. Acceptable forms of identification include: Texas or other Resident State Driver’s License (with current address), State Identification Cards or a current Military Identification Card.
A brief description of each test (excluding position specific) is outlined below.
- Vocabulary Test. For this test, the applicant will be required to look at a word in context, and answer the multiple choice question with the best choice. There are 45 questions with a 20-minute time limit for this test.
- Reading Comprehension Test. For this test, the applicant will be required to read several paragraphs and answer multiple choice questions pertaining to the paragraphs. There are 48 questions with a 35 minute time limit for this test.
- Typing Test. For Office Specialist, a typing test is required. Applicants must meet the minimum required words per minute (wpm) as outlined in the position description to be considered eligible for hire.
- Position Specific Test. For certain positions,such as 911 Telecommunications, position-specific tests may be administered. These tests will be designed to assess an individual’s response to a typical situation that would be encountered in their position.
NOTE: Failure to meet the minimum requirements for any of the tests listed above will disqualify an applicant for a period up to one year.
Step 3: Complete application packet and other documentation required
Upon successful completion of the Vocabulary/Reading Comprehension Test and/or Job Specific Test the applicant will be issued an application packet. An application packet consists of the following: Travis County Application, I-9 Form, Travis County Sheriff’s Office Application, and an Applicant Information Form. The applicant will provide original documentation or certified copies along with the application packet of the following documents if applicable: birth certificate, Military Form DD-214, a valid driver’s license (displaying current address) or a stated identification card (displaying current address), Proof of Auto Insurance, educational related documentation (High School transcripts/diploma, College transcripts or GED), proof of professional licensing (medical, counselor or maintenance), proof of certification (correction officer, peace officer or telecommunicator), and social security card.
NOTE: Applicants may apply for multiple positions by using one application packet. However, you must meet each positions individual requirement. Incomplete application packets will not be processed.
Step 4: Background Investigation
If the background investigation meets the Travis County Sheriff’s Office standards, the applicant will proceed with an interview before the Oral Review Board.
NOTE: A complete background investigation will be conducted on all applicants applying with the Travis County Sheriff’s Office to determine suitability.
Step 5: Interview with Oral Review Board
Applicants who successfully pass the background investigation are then scheduled for interviews with an oral review board. During the board, an applicant will be asked a series of general and situational questions regarding the position for which they apply. The applicant must pass the Oral Review Board in order to be placed on an eligibility list. Applicants may apply for multiple positions; however, they must pass a separate Oral Review Board for each position applied for in order to qualify for that particular eligibility list. For example, an individual who applies for an office specialist and a security coordinator position must interview and successfully pass two separate oral review boards (office specialist, security coordinator) in order to be on the eligibility lists for each position.
Step 6: Placement on an Eligibility List
Successful applicants will be placed on a list, from which selection for employment will be made.