If you plan on using fireworks to celebrate the holidays, the Travis County Fire Marshal’s Office reminds you to follow these simple safety tips:
- Buy from reliable fireworks sellers only, and never attempt to make your own fireworks.
- To detonate fireworks, find a flat surface, away from buildings, dry leaves and grass.
- Have water on hand in case of a fire.
- Insist on adult supervision when buying or setting off fireworks.
- Read and follow label directions, warnings and instructions.
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never try to re-Iight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
- Never give fireworks to small children; even sparklers can cause serious burns as they can reach temperatures of 1,200 degrees.
The winter retail fireworks season has begun and runs through midnight, January 1. Fireworks are not allowed in Travis County Parks and parks managed by Travis County. The sale and possession of fireworks are prohibited within the city limits of Austin.
Travis County is not restricting the sale of fireworks in unincorporated parts of the county during the upcoming holidays.
Please call the Fire Marshal’s Office at (512) 854-4621 for more information.